Thursday, March 7, 2013

Bananas Foster Bundt Cake

Bananas Foster Bundt Cake

For most of my life, if you'd asked me my favorite flavor, I would have said banana. As a kid, I loved banana flavored anything and I didn't care much if that flavor was natural or artificial. As an adult, I've gotten much more discerning and the fake, extract flavors found in most commercial products just won't do. So I eat a banana every day and periodically bake the over-ripe ones into a banana bread. There are always bananas on my counter and bananas in my freezer (for smoothies).

Bananas Foster Bundt Cake
So, when the founders of the Bundt-a-Month group, Anuradha of Baker Street and Lora of Cake Duchess, announced that this month's category would be tropical fruit, I knew immediately what I would be using. But, of course, this couldn't just be a banana flavored cake, like banana bread, only baked into a bundt shape. Snooze... yawn... Zzzzzz. Not that it wouldn't taste good but a banana bundt should be special. What I had in mind was something along the lines of a classic bananas Foster, all gooey and caramelized.

Bananas Foster Bundt Cake
The result was a super moist, natural banana, cake with a crunchy, caramelized top. Oh, and did I mention that bananas are good for you? They are high in potassium which helps to regulate blood pressure. We kept our blood pressures very well regulated as we scarfed down this cake. :) Enjoy!

Ingredients
2 Cups all purpose flour
1 Teaspoon baking powder
1 Teaspoon baking soda
1/2 Teaspoon salt
1 Stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 Stick unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 Cups light brown sugar, divided
2 Teaspoons vanilla
2 Eggs
1 Cup buttermilk
1 Banana, peeled and sliced
2 Bananas, mashed
1/4 Cup walnuts, chopped

Butter and flour a 12 cup bundt pan. Pour the melted butter into the bottom, sprinkle on 1/2 cup of the sugar, layer on the sliced banana and top with the chopped nuts.

In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, beat together the remaining sugar, room temperature butter, eggs, buttermilk and vanilla. Mix in the mashed bananas. Slowly beat the dry ingredients into the wet mixture until everything is fully incorporated.

Pour the batter over the walnuts in the bundt pan and bake in pre-heated 350 degree oven for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool thoroughly in the pan (allow a couple of hours) before turning the cake out onto a plate or stand.

Have a look at what our other March bundt bakers have made:

Bananas Foster Bundt by Anita from Hungry Couple
Blue Hawaiian Bundt Cake by Tara from Noshing With The Nolands
Chocolate Bundt With Coconut Cream Cheese Filling by Karen from In The Kitchen With KP
Caramelized Mango Tropical Bundt Cake by Paula from Vintage Kitchen
Chocolate Coconut Bundt Cake by Kim from Cravings Of A Lunatic
Coconut and Rum Tea Cake by Anuradha from Baker Street
Coconut Banana Bundt Cake with Rum Glaze by Lora from Cake Duchess
Coconut Bundt Cake by Holly from A Baker’s House
Coconut Lime Bundt Cake by Kate from Food Babbles
Hummingbird Bundt Cake by Heather from Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
Hummingbird Bundt Cake by Jennie from The Messy Baker Blog
Lime Glazed Bundt Cake by Carrie from Poet In The Pantry
Mini Pineapple Bundt Cakes with White Chocolate Ganache by Alice from Hip Foodie Mom
Pina Colada Bundt Cake by Renee from Magnolia Days
Pineapple Bundt with Kuih Tat Filling by Stacy from Food Lust People Love
Strawberry and Banana Bundt Cake by Veronica from My Catholic Kitchen
Vanilla Orange Bundt Cake with a Hint of Coconut by Laura from The Spiced Life
White Chocolate Guava Cake by Kim from Ninja Baking

 Interested in becoming part of Bundt-a-Month?  Here's how:
- Use any tropical fruit and bake us a bundt for March
- Post it before March 31, 2013
- Use the #BundtAMonth hashtag in your title (i.e. Bananas Foster Bundt Cake #BundtAMonth)
- Add your entry to the Linky tool below
- Link back to our announcement posts

Be sure to follow Bundt-a-Month on Facebook where we feature all our gorgeous bundt cakes.  Or, head over to our Pinterest board for inspiration and choose from over 350 bundt cake recipes.




32 comments:

  1. Brilliant, Anita! Bananas and buttermilk do a wonderful tango in any baked good. But your Bananas Foster Bundt looks like, well, it takes the cake =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great looking cake!! I haven't had Bananas Foster forever!! I would love to try this cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anita, this is one fine-lookin' cake! I love bananas foster. I can't wait to give this cake a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anita,
    love this banana bundt! It's just beautiful! All gooey and caramelized, with bananas and walnuts (which, by the way, are quickly becoming my fave nut to cook/bake with)? This looks and sounds absolutely delish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yayyy I love bananas and this bundt cake looks yummalicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bananas Foster is one of my husband's favorites. If he sees it on a menu he will order it for sure. Looks like I'll have to surprise him with this cake one day. I know he would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bananas foster is one of the best flavors. I wish I had this cake in front of me! Amazing, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM! it looks so moist and good - we love banana as well and I think I would get extra points from the hubs if I bake this for him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, boy, that caramelized topping pushes this over the top! What an amazing Bundt cake, Anita!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This cake's texture looks amazing! I love the idea too, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This cake looks delicious! I've totally been craving Bananas Foster lately!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The topping sounds wonderful and I love that I could convince myself that I was eating my daily serving of fruit with all of these bananas!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is gorgeous! I love bananas foster and haven't ever had it in cake form. It's making my mouth water and this topping sounds fantastic. Mmm!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Its very gougeous I'll try it soon

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anuradha and Lora bring out the best in us! Your bananas Foster Bundt is lovely and I am sure it is also delicious. How can you go wrong with caramelized bananas in a Bundt?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm going to get the ingredients today to make this!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yum, your cake looks and sounds absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Banana Foster bundt cake?! YESSSS please!

    ReplyDelete
  19. OH mah worrrrd!! Banana foster is da bomb as it is... and now you put it in a bundt?! I LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am with you on the banana foster dessert. Your bundt looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Bananas were my favorite growing up too. I still get nostalgic when I bake a loaf of banana bread. This bundt cake looks like a grown-up version of my childhood favorite. Thank you so much for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This sounds delicious! I love bananas, and this looks like the perfect way to use them. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  23. moist cakes and bundts are my favorite things ever!

    ReplyDelete
  24. bananas foster cake is a brilliant idea! i want to make this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love your Bananas Foster Bundt cake. WE love Bananas Foster, so pure genius to bake it in a bundt.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm with you - I adore bananas. A fresh banana milk shake sends me over the moon. This cake would come a very close second for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just took it out the oven and it tastes delicious!! Not sure I can wait the full 2hours for it too cool down!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow...Anita! Gorgeous cake and that caramelized topping is the best! (And thanks for helping a newbie out!) ;- }

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wonderful cake!! I turned it out of the pan about 45 minutes after baking and it was perfect. :). Very moist, light and cake like consistency. I added a dash of cinnamon.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I just made this last night and it turned out superb!!!! and I am eating it again for a snack - the next day and it's still so rich and gorgeous! Thank you !!! Highly recommended!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am going to make this cake this weekend...with my old aluminum bundt pan that is!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!