Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Baked Corn Fritters

Baked Corn Fritters

Around here, keeping our resolutions to cut calories and eat healthier does not mean munching on celery and rice cakes. OK, I actually do like rice cakes. But the point is that it does not mean the end of delicious foods. A few tweaks here and there, some baking instead of frying and we're still eating well.

Baked Corn Fritters
I've seen various corn pancake recipes out there that include zucchini or other vegetables and I've tried them but found them too watery. This pure corn version easily maintains its shape in the oven and makes a really tasty lunch or side dish for dinner. And, sauteing the onion works great at keeping them moist in the oven. Enjoy!








Ingredients
1 Can (15oz.) corn kernels, drained (salt and sugar free)
1 Small onion, peeled and diced
1 Clove garlic, peeled and minced
1/2 Cup milk
1/2 Cup cornmeal
1/2 Cup all purpose flour
1 Egg
1/2 Teaspoon salt
1/4 Teaspoon pepper
2 Tablespoons chopped scallions or chives
1/4 Cup Parmesan cheese, grated
2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided

Baked Corn Fritters
Add one tablespoon of the olive oil into a pan along with the onion and garlic. Saute on medium to low heat just until the onions are translucent.  Add the corn and remove from the heat to cool.

In a bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, herbs and cheese. When the corn mixture has cooled, add it to the bowl along with the cornmeal, flour, salt and pepper and mix well.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread on the remaining tablespoon of oil. Form the batter into patties and lay them on the baking sheet. You should have enough to make 8 medium sized patties. Bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 20 minutes, flip the patties and bake for an additional 20 - 25 minutes or until the patties are a light golden brown. Serve warm with your favorite sauce or dressing.

24 comments:

  1. Oh yummy! These look really good, love that they are baked too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooh, yum. And I can eat MORE of them. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaand now I'm super curious and HAVE to know what these taste like! On the to-make list they go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love corn. I've had little fried corn bites and they were good although not so healthy. Your fritters sure sound tasty. Nice that they are baked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you lightened these up without compromising the flavor! I love corn fritters and hope to try your recipe soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Corn fritters are a favorite of mine but I've never made them - I like that these are baked as well. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh yum, I love corn fritters but never baked them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We always enjoy a good corn fritter at my house. I like that these are baked too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We always enjoy a good corn fritter at my house. I like that these are baked too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love corn fritters!!!! I can not wait to try these!!! I want to put some pulled BBQ pork on top!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Corn fritters. What a delicious idea. I don't know why we don't do fritters more. They always make me hungry when I see or hear about them. Thank you for sharing. I hope you are having a week full of good food and laughter. Happy to start my day here!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The look delicious. Love that they are baked :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that you baked these! I love fitters but hate the effort of frying them... I'm definitely going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes please! I will take a dozen! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Healthy and delicious- love it! These look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I have to try these since they're baked. I tend to do the corn pancakes that are cooked in the skillet but hate the fact I have to do batch after batch. This looks like the perfect solution.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the fact that these are baked. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday.
    Your co host,
    from Nosh My Way

    ReplyDelete
  18. This recipe sounds fabulous & I love that they're baked - got to try these :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are so right - eating lighter shouldn't mean being deprived. Your corn fritters look fantastic. I can't wait to try them with the fresh corn we get during the summer. (I live in farm country.)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I saw these on Foodie Friends Friday, and had to come over to get a closer look! You are brilliant to bake these instead of frying! Thanks for a great recipe! :)
    ~Joy from Yesterfood

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love a fritter or patty. There is something so addictive. Love that you baked these. Thanks for sharing on Thursdays Treasures.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!