Friday, October 12, 2012

Death by Pumpkin Cocktail

Death by Pumpkin Cocktail

If you like pumpkin and own an ice cream maker, you've probably already made a batch of pumpkin ice cream. I've certainly been seeing recipes for it everywhere. Alas, I don't own an ice cream maker...yet. I also can't say that I crave ice cream much in chilly weather. But the other day, as I was walking the pup past Sedutto's, a local gourmet ice cream shop, I saw a sign in their window announcing that pumpkin ice cream is now available. I just couldn't resist finding out what it tasted like so I went in, bought a small container and took it home. YUM!  As I was shoveling it in and making plans to purchase more, it also occurred to me that it had cocktail potential.

Death by Pumpkin Cocktail
Those of you that can't imagine what pumpkin ice cream has to do with cocktails have 1. obviously never met me and 2. clearly missed last years Rummy Pumpkin sensation. That particular delight was such a hit that Brian and I made a large pitcher of it and served it as our house cocktail at Thanksgiving. It uses vanilla ice cream but what, I thought, would happen if I kicked up the pumpkin flavor even more by using the pumpkin ice cream?

And since I was going pumpkin crazy anyway, why not add a touch of pumpkin spice liqueur for three layers of pumpkin flavor. And if 'death by chocolate' is multi-layered chocolate dessert heaven, then this drink was clearly death by pumpkin. A sweet, sweet death. Cheers!


Per Serving:
2 oz. Rum
1 oz. Pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
1/2 oz. Chocolate liqueur
1/2 oz. Pumpkin spice liqueur (optional)
1/2 oz. Simple syrup
2 oz. Pumpkin ice cream
Dash of cinnamon

Combine all the ingredients in a cocktail shaker. Fill with ice and shake well until the ice cream melts. Pour into a chilled cocktail glass and garnish with a cinnamon stick.

22 comments:

  1. I have a ton of homemade pumpkin puree and i'm all in when paired with rum - what a delicious cocktail, anita! I love your pictures too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SBJ you've lost your ever lovin mind :)
    Ok ok I'll test it in the test bar if you insist!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delish! I'm not really an ice cream fan but i bought some Edy's pumpkin ice cream the other day and it is awesome!! Especially with warm caramel sauce over the top!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! That drink looks so yummy!!! I wish I was having one right now haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oy, this looks so amazing! Do you think that instead of the pumpkin ice cream I could use soy cream and pumpkin spice (maybe a little maple syrup, too)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jackie! Yes, you certainly can use soy ice cream. The pumpkin ice cream adds a little more depth but our original drink only used vanilla ice cream. See the link for Rummy Pumpkin in the 2nd paragraph of the post for the original recipe. You won't need the maple syrup, but a little pumpkin pie spice never hurt anything. :)

      Delete
  6. love love love! I want that...like immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  7. NY transplant now living on a farm in Virginia. New fan, this looks amazing ! Please come link up some of your recipes on my Farm Girl Blog Fest: http://fresh-eggs-daily.blogspot.com/2012/10/farm-girl-blog-fest-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok...so...I'll give ya this:

    That looks really really really good. Like...fall in a glass. And I don't generally like fall but...I like this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so decadent and comforting! The addition of chocolate to it sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't drink alcohol... but this looks good. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday and remember to come back and vote on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds delicious!! A perfect fall cocktail!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a way to go, Anita! Love this triple pumpkin cocktail :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love how pumpkin crazy you are this month! Booze and ice cream, I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Um, yes please! Anything with pumpkin and booze is a winner in my book! And perfect timing too because I'm about to go the grocery store. Add this to the list! Thank you for sharing. I hope you have a wonderful end to your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. If this isn't the perfect fall treat, then I don't know what is! I have to put this on my list for Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't drink rum...lol but I might try this with Vanilla Vodka (if it has puree in it it's healthy right???) Thanks for the yummy idea!

    Found you on Foodie Friends Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I rarely drink but this looks totally amazing ... I am tempted :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I need to get my hands on pumpkin spice liqeuor! Sounds amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. A party ain't a party with out boozey pumpkin drinks! Yummmmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!