Friday, September 21, 2012

Pear Cosmo

Pear Cosmo

These days we're kind of in that middle place between mourning the passing of summer and our great vacation and the anticipation of autumn and pumpkins and a slight nip in the air. So what kind of cocktail goes with that? We've pretty much put away the blender and our beloved frozen cocktails until next year. But it's still a bit warm for some of our great winter drinks. We need something in between.

Pear Cosmo
Ironically, it was on our summer vacation that we found it. The last time we were in Maine we discovered One Dock and all their delicious food and drinks. There was no question we'd be back and it was delightful to return, after two years, relax on their patio, be treated like old friends and browse the updated drink options. We both saw it instantly ... a pear cosmo! It sounded so good...and it was! We got the recipe!
 
Pear Cosmo
Making the drink required some shopping since we didn't have pear vodka (a must) or St. Germain elderflower liqueur, a rather pricey addition. We'd used it to make lychee martinis last year but haven't had it around since. But if you're wondering if you really need to go out and buy a bottle of expensive St. Germain just for the small amount that's used in this drink then the answer is yes, yes you do...and right away. Hurry, before they sell out! It is the most exquisite flavor that brings out all other flavors. It makes lychees taste more lychee-like, it makes pears taste more like pears and the snozzberries taste like snozzberries.

Supposedly you can make your own liqueur with elderflower berries. But, honestly, I wouldn't know an elderflower bush if it started growing in my living room. So for now we're just going to hand over our money to the nice liquor store man in exchange for our precious bottle of St. Germain and this amazing drink. Cheers!

Per Serving:
2 oz. Pear vodka
3/4 oz. St. Germain
1/2 oz. Pear juice
1/2 oz. Cranberry juice
1 Teaspoon lime juice

Combine all the ingredients in a cocktail shaker. Fill with ice, shake well and pour into a chilled cocktail glass.

22 comments:

  1. The color is gorgeous.
    I've been meaning to buy St. Germain for my bar. Now I have motivation.
    LL

    ReplyDelete
  2. UM HELLO! Where have you been all my life?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you've hit upon a pretty unique drink & it looks so refreshing ... Happy Friday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds delicious and looks beautiful - what a great combination!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear pretty pink drink...I'll take two of you and treat you like you deserve to be treated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in love with the color of this drink! Make me a pitcher, I'm enroute to your house!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful and refreshing drink to usher us from summer into fall. Thank you for sharing. A lovely way to begin my Sunday. I hope you had a fabulous weekend...and I wish you an even better week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK, you've convinced me to put St. Germain on my shopping list....as your pear cosmo sounds SO amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The St. Germain always catches my eye, but I could come up with a use. This looks a perfect excuse to finally give it try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a pretty drink. I can picture myself drinking this one on the deck.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooooo, this looks good, Anita. I am a big fan of anything pear so I would love to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i am so intrigued by this and the St. Germain...i'm dying now to give it a go

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think we should all get together and drink samplers of all of those drinks. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I found my spotlight recipe for October. This sounds delicious, and I think I know where I can find both the elderflower and the pear vodka. We have this huge liquor/wine/beer emporium in Baltimore. It's a cocktail lover's dream come true.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh boy, I know I'd love this! The first time I tried pear vodka was in a pear ginger martini and it was amazing. Cosmo's are my drink of choice so what a great idea to combine them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is too funny. Had my first Pear Cosmo this Fall at One Dock at the Kennebunkport Inn. It has to be the very best drink I've ever tasted. Spent last weekend at the Inn (with the drink on my mind) and had two. The bartender gave me the ingredients and just bought my first bottle of St. Germaine. Going to try to master it this weekend. Thanks for your listing of the amounts I was going to play hit or miss.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE pear vodka. Pair it with Sprite, so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I did an internet search because I was just at One Dock this past weekend and had this amazing drink.....love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ohhh these cocktails sound right up my street, so perfect for the summer

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!