Saturday, December 31, 2011

New Year's Musings and a Brisket

New Year's Musings and a Brisket
The Hungry (and Happy) Couple
As we get ready to welcome 2012, I'm in the kitchen cooking, my little furry sous chef by my side. Brian and I will ring in the new year at home, feasting on an elaborate meal, hoisting a few cocktails and snuggling together with our pup as we watch the Times Square ball drop on TV. Those may not be the most exciting sounding plans in the world but it's exactly where I want to be.









New Year's Musings and a Brisket
The furry sous chef on the day I met her.
The past year had its joys and its challenges, as most do. On the work front, my industry reeled from economic troubles and that meant a volatile year for me. I realized as I was reading through my blog that I never really talk about what I do when I'm not cooking. I am an advertising producer, sometimes independent, sometimes Madison Avenue. It sounds like a glamorous career and, in the past, it has been. But these days it's mostly about managing shorter schedules and tighter budgets.






New Year's Musings and a Brisket
My two loves
Life at home in 2011 was more stable as I spent it peacefully with the man I love. And then there was this little blog which started as a small hobby and grew into a large one as I found a perfect combination of my long time loves of food and writing and my new found interest in photography. I've so enjoyed "meeting" all of you and love it when you comment on my blog or try my recipes. And, in reading all of your blogs I've found inspiration and sometimes amazement at your talents and creativity. I hope we'll all spend much more time together in 2012.

And so, before the midnight countdown, here is a countdown of my own. These were the top five most popular recipes on my blog, four of which made the FoodBuzz Top 9 thanks to all of you, and starting with the recipe I'm making tonight! Happy New Year!



Mouthwatering Brisket

One of the most amazing dishes we've ever had was at the 1770 House several years ago while on vacation in East Hampton. Back home, my email appeal to the chef for the recipe resulted in a warm reply and 3 pages of instructions. I surprised Brian with it that year and it's been our New Year's Eve tradition ever since. With gratitude to chef Matthew Birnstill for the recipe.


Goat Cheese and Herb - A Tart Goes Light

What could be bad about goat cheese, herbs and pastry!



The Goddess Goes Light

This is still one of our favorite dressings. In fact, I just made a fresh batch a few days ago.


A Tired Cook with a Sweet Tooth...in a Jar

I wrote this when I was having a bad day and I was surprised and delighted by the response. Not only did you comment on the recipe but so many sympathized and hoped I was feeling better.



Pumpkin Scones

And, finally, the most popular post of all! Oh, boy, you all sure do love you some pumpkin scones. This recipe shot to the Top 9 immediately and continues to draw huge crowds. The recipe was an experiment and the results a happy accident. At this point I've made these scones lots of times for lots of people and they really are great, if I say so myself :)

7 comments:

  1. The scones are beautiful. It is no wonder it is number 1. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you have a wonderful new year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to spend New Year's Eve at home with a well-planned and prepared meal, just the two of us (with our furry companion as well--only ours is feline). Hope you have a great 2012!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything here sounds delicious. I'm new to your blog, so I took some time to browse through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. There sure are a lot of delicious links and pictures here, I need to come back and take some time reviewing your blog.
    The best part of this post, however, is the sense of joy and peace that you two have which is reflected in the very first picture. I wish you all the best in 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all the pictures. It makes reading blogs so much more personal when we see them. The pic of you and your hubby is adorable. Puppy is swoon worthy too!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!